Animal Blessing Ideas
Home > Spirituality > Spiritual Resources > Worship and Liturgy > Animal Blessing Ideas
Here are some ideas from St. Stephen's-in-the-Fields:
- Vet came to give free vaccinations, we sold hot deity dogs for $1 andhad people-shaped biscuits for the dogs and cats. The vet gave out lots of stuf including pens in the shape of bones with her clinic name on it.
- St. Stephen's in the Fields had El Orbits play-local rock and roll band. Large time. Also invited the local mounted police and the drug and bomb sniffing dogs tobless. That got us some media attention.
- Another thing to do is invite service dogs for the hearing impaired or blind so those folks can come especially-really says some things about the Church's welcome.
- We're developing an event kit for this and offering it to all our churches - lots of suggested ideas and resources, how to approach pet stores and vets to cosponsor it, a sample media release, a poster they can simply add their info to and matching stuffers, quarter sheet notices that they can ask pet stores and vets to hand out, etc.
And, the kids could bake the treats! By the way, http://www.hungrymutt.com has many easy recipes for dog treats. Still searching for cat recipes that seem easy and inexpensive.
By the way, the diocese of Washington has a great resource page for Blessings of the Animals. You'll find it at http://www.edow.org/spirituality/animals_resources.html
Things you can buy:
- Here are two Francis medals for 45 cents each. Can't beat that price!